Egg Based Breakfast Idea 5 : Scotch Egg

Saturday 27 July 2019

Egg Based Breakfast Idea 5 : Scotch Egg





SCOTCH EGG..

I have never heard of this dish (since I'm a Malaysian who is still learning to cook dishes from other countries) until I unintentionally watched the scotch egg's preparation by Grandpa Kitchen on Youtube. Grandpa with his assistants manage to caught global attention for their noble charity projects by cooking in big portions to feed the orphans in India.

I have no idea how scotch egg tastes like.
But from the look of it, I can tell it is going to be delicious!

Can you imagine a boiled egg swaddled in minced beef or chicken, season with salt and pepper then breaded and fried?
The beef and chicken itself is already flavorful and delicious.
I can't wait to make my own scotch egg, so I bought a frozen minced beef, capsicum and bell peppers.
I wanted to make my scotch egg not only burst with flavors but also colorful!



I made my first ever scotch egg for our breakfast and have some of them packed for my hubby's snack to his office.
Preparing breakfast is always a frenzied rush especially during weekdays.
To meet the high energy demand and heartier palate, breakfast need to be wholesome, nourishing and filling.  That is why I always inclined to prepare high protein based breakfast for my little family.

The biggest trick for the delicious and perfect scotch egg actually lies on the boiling of the egg itself.
Scotch egg is supposed to have slightly runny texture in the egg center.
That means, boiling time and temperature play the biggest role here to completely cook the outer portion while the center is halfway cooked.
To be honest, I am not fussy and I don't like to stressed out myself on making the perfect; semi-liquid egg yolk, as long as I can easily remove the egg shell without having so much trouble.

I made six scotch eggs using a small sized egg.
I fried four out of six of them, while the remaining two I keep them refrigerated until the next day morning.
I am not sure if scotch egg can be frozen as I can't guarantee if the boiled egg will remain smooth textured as when we are eating the freshly made scotch egg.
One thing for sure, freshly made your scotch egg okay.  It tastes better than the frozen one especially when you have your scotch egg flavored with veges like mine.

Scotch Egg

Course : Breakfast, Dinner, Snack
Yield : 6

6 small sized egg
200 grams of minced beef
1/4 capsicum - diced
1/4 red bell pepper - diced
1/4 yellow bell pepper - diced
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of black pepper powder
2 tablespoons of corn flour

For coating, you may need:

White breadcrumbs
2 egg - lightly beaten
corn flour

Methods:

Bring water to boil in small saucepan and under low heat, carefully put in the egg, one at a time by using a ladle and let them boil for 3 to 4 minutes.

Remove the saucepan from heat and carefully drain, then fill the saucepan with cool water.  Gently crack the egg shell and peel under cold running water.  Placed the peeled egg in a plate and set aside.

Next, combine minced beef, chopped bell peppers and capsicum, salt, black pepper powder and corn flour in a bowl.  Mix well.

Divide the minced beef mixture into 6 equal portions.  Flatten one portion into a thin patty over the length of your palm and lay one boiled egg at the center and wrap the beef mixture around the egg to complete seal.  Repeat for the rest of the eggs.







For coating, place the beaten egg, cor flour and breadcrumbs into three different shallow bowls.  Gently coat each of the beef-wrapped egg, working one at a time first with corn flour, shake off the flour excess, then dip into the beaten egg and roll in breadcrumbs to coat.  Carefully press the coated beef-wrapped egg to ensure the breadcrumbs won't fall off when you fry.



Deep fry the scotch eggs in a medium high temperature, turning occasionally until they turned golden brown, around 5 to 6 minutes.
Put the fried scotch eggs on a paper towel to remove the excess oil.
Ready to be served with your favorite dip.



0 comments :

Post a Comment