Chocolate Banana Snack Cake (Vegan)

Wednesday 7 August 2019

Chocolate Banana Snack Cake (Vegan)





Back in the day, chocolate banana muffins were so regular at our home when I was obsessed with my low carb diet program.
Well, those days are gone.
Thinking back those memories remind me of making them again, but into different version.

Chocolate banana snack cake is going to be one of my favorite sweet treat and will be regular in my house later on.
When you look at this cake at a glance,  it looks exactly like brownies.
It depends on how wide your cake pan is.
Use a smaller cake pan if you prefer it to be taller like typical cake's height.
It is rich in chocolate-banana flavors, with soft and moist in texture.
I made it yesterday and even though my cake was flatter than the original recipe (perhaps it was due to some adjustment of the ingredients.  Plus, I used a bigger cake pan), but it wasn't compromise the taste and in fact, it was so good and relaxing!

What's more, this cake is does not contains egg, so it is suitable for vegan and those who are allergy to it.
Frankly speaking, I've never made eggless cake before.
I was just afraid that my cake will be a complete disaster if I omit egg.
Egg provides stability to the cake's structure and by adding egg, it helps the cake to rise even more while enhancing it's flavor.
But this one is a total exception, because your cake is not going to be dense and hard as long as you add baking powder or baking soda and oil into it.
On top of that, the meshed bananas will help to soften and moisten the cake.
Just do not expect this cake will rise as much as when you add in egg into it.

I referred to the recipe from Katie to make this chocolate banana snack cake.
According to her, this cake is best to be prepared ahead of time as it tastes better on the next day.
I can't help but to have a try at that instant it was baked.
The cake was ambrosial, scented with mouth-watering aroma of cocoa powder and fruity flavor of ripened bananas.
It was perfect for almost any occasions.
And it do best for breakfast on the go too and as a quick tidbits.
My hubby is so fond of this cake and within a minute, he gobbled three slices without any interval between bites! 😅😅😅



The recipe called for granulated sugar, but I used honey as sugar substitute.
Honey is sweeter than granulated sugar, so make sure to reduce the amount when using.
To add it's nutritional value, I added two tablespoons of chia seeds.
These tiny seeds are enriched with healthy fat.
You can grind them to get the ground chia, but I prefer to add them in the raw form to add some crispiness in my cake.
Chia seeds are rich in fiber, so they would aid in your digestion.
If you are interested to learn more about how chia seeds can benefit your health, you can read my article on the benefits of chia seeds here.

The best part is, this cake, even having with just one slice, is sufficient to relief my hunger strike in between meals.
The secret is, you have to take time to chew your cake, enjoying every single bite whilst helping your digestive organs do their job at a more relax pace.
I was wonder if this cake would really taste better when I keep it to the next day like what Katie said in her post, so I had to hide a few slices and had them refrigerated.
This morning, before I had my main dish for my breakfast, I took out a slice to be eaten as appetizer.
And guess what, it did tasted even better!
It was richer in flavors.
You should try it yourselves.
Next time I'll double the ingredients and have them refrigerated for my sweet treats.




Chocolate Banana Snack Cake (Vegan)

Adapted From : Katie
Yield : 16 small slices

1 cup of white whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons of baking powder
1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
1/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon of salt
2 tablespoons of chia seeds
2/3 cup of water
2 tablespoons of natural honey
2 large overripe bananas - mashed
1/4 cup of coconut oil/melted butter/nut butter
1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
chocolate chips - optional

Methods:


Line a 8 x 8 square pan with baking/parchment paper.

Preheat oven to 180℃.

In a large bowl, add in all the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder, chia seeds) and whisk to combine.

Add in the remaining ingredients and mix well.

Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle chocolate chips on top.

Bake at center rack for about 30 to 40 minutes or until inserted wooden skewer comes out clean.

Let cool completely and cut into small slices.

Keep the leftover in an air-tight container and refrigerated.







#NOTE#

The recipe above is based on my own version of chocolate banana snack cake after doing few alterations according to my preference.  
For original recipe you may refer to Katie's blog in the link provided earlier.












0 comments :

Post a Comment