Homemade Fluffy Garlic Breadsticks (Domino's Style)

Thursday 18 April 2019

Homemade Fluffy Garlic Breadsticks (Domino's Style)



I'm always fascinated with Domino's breadsticks ever since my hubby and I first enjoy eating them back in the days.  Who ever tasted their breadsticks before, you know the temptation to eat more and more.  Their breadsticks is so far the most delicious breadsticks I have ever taste.  They are rich in herbs, fluffy and crispy on the outside.

As a bread lover (as well as the strong passion to bake), whenever I come across a delicious, tempting recipes or when I eat something delicious, I am so eager and can't wait to prepare them on my own.  My nature which is to easily inspired is to be blamed for those disastrous breadsticks making experiments before!  Yep, to be honest, I made breadsticks couple of times before I successfully making my best ever homemade breadsticks today.


I made garlic breadsticks today which is to be eaten with my lovely potato soup and the pasta sauce for the breadsticks dipping sauce.  I came out with two versions of breadsticks - plain garlic breadsticks and cheesy garlic breadsticks.  I wanted to finish my yellow cheddar cheese stock, so the easiest way is to sprinkle them inside my breadsticks.

For the breadsticks recipe, I refer to a popular garlic breadsticks recipe from Bharat Wadhwa.  He prepared his garlic breadsticks beautifully that I cannot resist the temptation to make them too!  The original recipe call for corn meal for the bread coating, but since I have never use corn meal before, I substitute it with all purpose flour. Corn meal has rougher texture, almost similar to semolina or better known as sugee flour and has brownish in color.  if you don't prefer to have any kind of coating outside your breadsticks you are free to omit these.  My previous versions of breadsticks before were also made without the any coating outside, because the truth is - I never know that coating the breadsticks before baking with corn meal is the reason for their crispier outer layer!  Uh oh!!  I'm also out of oregano seasoning stock at home, so I simply replaced oregano with mix herbs.

In my recipe, I tried to combine bread flour with all purpose flour and the end result was amazing! My bread is lighter and fluffier.  The flour coating worked well for my breadsticks even though it doesn't exert the crispier taste on my breadsticks.

Homemade Fluffy Garlic Breadsticks

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups of lukewarm water
1 teaspoon of salt
1 tablespoon of white sugar
2 tablespoons of butter (you may melt it first if you want)
4 tablespoons of olive oil / vegetable oil
1 tablespoon of garlic powder
1 teaspoon of mix herbs / oregano seasoning
2 cups of bread flour
2 cups of all purpose flour
2 teaspoons of dry active yeast

Methods:

Preparing the dough:

In a large bowl, combine lukewarm water, sugar, yeast and 1/2 cups of bread flour.  Mix using a spatula until all combined and let sit for 10 minutes for yeast activation.

After that, add garlic powder, salt, mix herbs, olive oil, butter and add the remaining flour little by little and knead the dough using your hand. 

Sprinkle generous amount of flour on your working surface and transfer the dough on your working surface for easier kneading process.  Continue to add flour and knead the dough until a smooth stretchy dough is formed about 15 minutes.  The dough will be a bit sticky.  You may spread some oil on your hand and palm if the dough is a bit too sticky and difficult to handle.

Spread more oil all over the surface of the bowl and place back the dough ball inside the bowl.  Grease some oil all over the surface of the dough ball to prevent the dough surface from drying.  Cover the bowl with cling wrap and rest it rest inside the fridge for 4 hours.  (The original recipe suggest a 24 hours of cold fermentation).

Alternatively, if you have a breadmaker or stand mixer with a dough hook, that's better cause you may save your energy and time by simply add in all the ingredients into the machine and let it do the kneading for you.

Dough that has just came out from fridge.  Still cold.


Divide the dough into 4 small balls

Shaping the dough:

When you're ready to work on your breadsticks dough, take it out of the fridge.  Punch down the dough to break the air bubbles.  Take the dough out of the bowl and has it transferred on your floured work surface.  Divide the dough into 4 equal sized balls.

Take one ball, flatten it into an oval shape using a rolling pin, spread some butter and sprinkle grated cheddar cheese or garlic powder and a little bit of oregano seasoning on top of it.  Fold the dough into two and pinch along the edges to neatly seal the dough.  

Pour the flour (or corn meal) on a plate and coat the dough surfaces with the flour and transfer the coated dough on a buttered baking tray.  Grease more butter on top of it and sprinkle more oregano seasoning and garlic powder if you want.  

Then, cut the dough that resembles sticks using a sharp knife and let it rest for another 15 minutes.
Flatten the dough ball and sprinkle with filling of your choice. 


Fold the dough into 2 and seal the edges neatly.


Coat the dough with flour (or corn meal) and add more butter on top and sprinkle more oregano seasoning and garlic powder.


Baking the breadsticks:

Preheat oven to 240℃ or 464℉ for 15 minutes.  Bake the breadsticks for 15 minutes until it turned brown.  (Original recipe baking time is 8 minutes but mine was still under baked so I extended the baking time to 15 minutes).

Serving the breadsticks:

Serve warm with pasta sauce, cheese sauce or mushroom soup. Enjoy!


My breadsticks that has just came out from oven.

#NOTE#

This recipe yields 4 medium sized breadsticks.

Store the leftovers in an air tight container and reheat by baking them for 5 minutes before serving.  You can store the breadsticks inside the fridge up to few days.

I suggest if you want to make ahead your breadsticks, reduce the baking time to 10 minutes so when the time you want to eat them, you can fully bake your breadstick until they turned light brown in color.

If you don't have garlic powder, you can substitute with 4 cloves of garlic.  You can either grate or finely chopped the garlic.

Enjoy!


0 comments :

Post a Comment