Asam Pedas Ayam Style Johor | Johor Style Chicken Asam Pedas

Thursday 11 March 2021

Asam Pedas Ayam Style Johor | Johor Style Chicken Asam Pedas






It's been a while since I cooked asam pedas.

In my previous post, I've shared on how to cook asam pedas ikan bawal or pomfret fish asam pedas.

See my post for asam pedas ikan bawal here:

https://thelynalina.blogspot.com/2020/06/asam-pedas-ikan-bawal.html


The basic of asam pedas recipe is almost similar regardless of the type of meat that you are decided to use to make the asam pedas.

In Malaysia, the most significant asam pedas are Asam Pedas Johor and Asam Pedas Melaka.

I've never cooked Asam Pedas Melaka before, but I've seen quite a number of the recipes online.

Asam Pedas Johor uses the basic ingredients like onion, shallots, garlic, turmeric, ginger, shrimp paste, tamarind juice and dried red chilies, with the addition of the aromatic laksa leaves and torch ginger.

Some of the recipes called for the addition of fenugreek seeds or, halba in Malay to make the gravy more delicious.

However, Asam Pedas Melaka has richer ingredients in it's gravy since coconut paste or kerisik and kefir lime leaves are added into it, making it special and different from the Asam Pedas Johor.






If you're familiar with my recipes, you'll notice that I prefer to mix between onion and shallots in most of my cooking - especially the gravy-based recipes, like asam pedas and curry.

For me, the flavors of those two onions when diffused together create an amazingly delicious dishes!

Shallots has a hint of sharpness and more sweet than onion, whereas onion has a more delicate taste.

Adding onion into your asam pedas will also makes a thicker gravy.


In these past few days, I focused my shooting for my cooking channel since it has been quite some time since my last published video in my channel.

Usually I'll add music as my video background, especially for my baking videos since I have to mute most of my video parts due to the "unwanted noises" that came from my surroundings every time when I do the shooting.

But for this recipe, I was lucky that there weren't so much noise when I did the shooting, so, I made my video without a background music.



Watch my step-by-step tutorials on how to make Asam Pedas Ayam Johor Style here:






If you're a fan of asam pedas, this is a worth to try recipe.

This asam pedas, like any other gravy-based dishes, it gets better after reheated.

The best part is, the dish can be make ahead of time and can be refrigerated or frozen.

But if you plan to make ahead the asam pedas, I would recommend not to put lady's fingers and tomato first as we want the veggies to be fresh when it is served.

When you reheat the asam pedas, only then you can add the veggies.


We are not a fan of spicy foods, so my asam pedas recipe is of moderate spiciness. 


So, if you're ready, let's get the nitty-gritty of the recipe.


Happy cooking!








ASAM PEDAS AYAM STYLE JOHOR



Category : Lauk Pauk

Preparation Time : 10 minutes

Cooking Time : 40 minutes

Serving Size : 5 to 6 people




Ingredients To Be Blended:





15 pieces of dried red chilies (boiled/soaked with hot water until soft and deseeded) *you can add more if you prefer spicy

1/2 tablespoon of black pepper seeds

2 red chilies

1 onion

4 shallots

4 cloves of garlic

1 inch of ginger

2 pieces of turmeric

2 cm of roasted dried shrimp paste (belacan)

About 2 cups of water for blending the ingredients




Other Ingredients:






6 to 8 pieces of chicken  * you can use half of a chicken cut into your desired pieces

A handful of laksa leaves

1 torch ginger  (cut in half)

1/4 cup of strained tamarind juice (mix 1 tablespoon of tamarind paste with 1/4 cup of water)

Salt to taste

Sugar to taste

About 1 liter of water

1/2 cup of cooking oil

8 to 10 lady's fingers (optional)

1 tomato - cut into 4





Instructions:




Cut shallots, onion, red chilies, ginger, turmeric and garlic into smaller pieces.  Then, put all the ingredients to be blended in a blender and blend finely.





Heat cooking oil in a wok or a pan.  Once hot, add in the fenugreek seeds and fry for a few seconds.  





Pour on blended ingredients and fry until it turns dark red color and the oil is separating over medium heat.  Stir frequently to prevent the bottom part from forming crust.  You may cover the wok/pot with a lid to prevent the spices from splashing everywhere, making your kitchen dirty.




Once the spices color becomes dark red, add in chicken pieces, torch ginger and laksa leaves.  Give it a quick mix and allow to cook for about a minute.





Then, pour in water and season with salt and sugar.  Stir well.  






Cover and allow to simmer over medium low heat for about 15 to 20 minutes, until chicken pieces are tender and the gravy is slightly thickened.





When the chicken pieces are tender, add in lady's fingers, tomato and tamarind juice.  Allow to simmer for another few minutes until the veggies are tender crisp.





Serve hot with warm rice.  Enjoy!












0 comments :

Post a Comment