Lontong Sayur Mudah (Rice Cakes With Vegetables Soup in Coconut Milk)

Sunday 29 March 2020

Lontong Sayur Mudah (Rice Cakes With Vegetables Soup in Coconut Milk)





For these past few days,  I've been busy experimenting on another bun, cookies and cake recipes to be posted in my new baking blog and my Youtube channel.
Due to the change of language to English in this blog, I've created another blog, written in Malay specifically to share my baking recipes.
The overwhelming fear of the covid19 infections which is highly transmittable,  higher authorities has extended the restriction of movement until mid April next month.
And due to this outbreaks, I 've decided to cancel my plan of selling cookies for Hari Raya this year and focus on delivering new cookies recipes through my blog and videos.
Feel free to watch my videos on the link provided in the navigation bar at my homepage 😎
It's difficult to freely hunt for baking ingredients which is getting lesser and lesser at our home after the movement restriction, so I have to design my baking recipes with whatever baking ingredients available.
So stay safe and stay at home guys...hopefully we'll be able to overcome this test soon 💪

Some people might say sharing recipes during these difficult times is being ignorant and insensitive, with a lot of people struggling with financial challenges ever since the restriction of movement is implemented.
A lot of companies and small businesses have to temporarily close down as a measure to prevent further spread of the infection.
But, for some food bloggers and Youtubers, which rely financially on their blogs and Youtube videos, they need to keep posting new recipes to keep their blogs and channels alive.
For me, cooking and baking is a good distraction while at the same time we can fill our tummies, enjoying simple yet delicious treats, hence it is a great way to overcome our overwhelming anxiety due to the outbreaks of the virus infection.






I've made this lontong sayur three weeks ago, along with the old chicken rendang and my homemade nasi impit.
I'm sorry that this post has been postponed since I wasn't feeling well for these past two weeks.
But it's getting better now, after my second visits to the doctor and I did a blood test, so I can stay back on track, sharing delicious recipes to my blogs reader 😍

Lontong sayur, or rice cakes with vegetables soup in coconut milk is a common dish especially among Indonesian and Javanese.
Lontong sayur is consists of nasi impit (rice cakes), vegetables soup cooked in coconut milk, sambal kacang (spicy peanut gracy) or sambal tumis (Malay chili sambal) and hard-boiled eggs.
Another common side dish for lontong sayur is rendang.
In this post, I'll share how to make lontong sayur my style, without stir frying the spices.

The lontong gravy is actually similar to sayur lodeh, which is also loaded with vegetables and not forgetting - the fried tempeh (soybean cake), fried tofu, dried tofu sheets (fucuk) and sohoon (cellophane noodles) and cooked in coconut milk.
My favorite vegetables to be added in my lontong gravy are long bean, carrot, cabbage, brinjal, sweet turnip and canned button mushrooms.

Ikan bilis hitam is my secret ingredient to make my lontong sayur more delicious and flavorful.
Some recipes call for dried shrimp, but I would prefer adding anchovies and ikan bilis hitam.





LONTONG SAYUR
(RICES CAKES WITH VEGETABLES SOUP IN COCONUT MILK)


Cuisine: Indonesian, Malay, Javanese
Serve : 8



Ingredients:

2 blocks of tempeh (soybean cakes)
4 blocks of hard tofus
2 sheets of dried tofu (fucuk) - break into small pieces and soaked 10 minutes and strained
A handful of sohoon (cellophane noodles) - soaked 10 minutes and strained
2 1/2 litres of water
300 ml of coconut cream or concentrated coconut milk
10 pieces of ikan bilis hitam
1 lemongrass - bruised
8 long beans (about a handful) - sliced diagonally
1/2 carrot - julienned
1/4 cabbage - cut into small pieces
1/2 of sweet turnip - julienned
Salt to taste
Sugar to taste


Ingredients to Blend:

1 onion
6 to 8 shallots
5 cloves of garlic
1 or 2 red chilies
5 or more cili padi (bird's eye chilies)
A small handful of anchovies - cleaned and head removed
2 inches of turmeric



Instructions:

  1. Bring water to boil in a large pot.
  2. Meanwhile, fry tempeh and hard tofu and cut them into cubes once they have cooled down.
  3. Add in the blended mixture, bruised lemongrass, fucuk, fried soybean cakes and tofus, ikan bilis hitam, carrots and sweet turnips.  Simmer over medium heat for 2 minutes.
  4. Add cabbage leaves, long beans, sohoon and coconut cream or milk and continue to simmer until the vegetables are tender crisp.
  5. Season with salt and sugar.
  6. Ready to be served with nasi impit (rice cakes), hard-boiled eggs and chili sambal or rendang.  Enjoy!



0 comments :

Post a Comment